¼ª²ÊÍøÍøÕ¾

Bringing The World Home To You

© 2025 ¼ª²ÊÍøÍøÕ¾ North Carolina Public Radio
120 Friday Center Dr
Chapel Hill, NC 27517
919.445.9150 | 800.962.9862
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Wake County Schools move closer to limits on student cell phone use

This sign at Zavala Elementary School was installed Wednesday, Sept. 30, 2009 in Austin, Texas. It is the first of those to be installed in Austin school zones to warn users that cell phones may not be used in the area.
Harry Cabluck
/
AP
This sign at Zavala Elementary School was installed Wednesday, Sept. 30, 2009 in Austin, Texas. It is the first of those to be installed in Austin school zones to warn users that cell phones may not be used in the area.

A committee of the Wake County Public Schools Board of Education approved a draft policy on Tuesday that would limit student cell phone use during the school day. The discussion comes as lawmakers in the North Carolina General Assembly are working on a possible statewide ban.

Wake County began working on the policy last year. Administrators and board members pointed to a patchwork of rules and policies across the district, with some schools placing more restrictions on phone use than others.

"Just going through individual school websites, you could find some policies were very general and some were very specific," board chair Chris Heagerty said at an October meeting. "In some cases, there's justification for it. In other cases, it was, well, 'let me just look and see what another school is doing.'"

The district solicited feedback from students, families, and educators as it drafted the new policy. students admitted feeling distracted by social media feeds and notifications. Others said they felt disconnected from family and friends if they weren't able to check their phones. Teachers emphasized the need for consistent policies and consequences for possible violations.

, all students would be required to turn off their phones or keep them in airplane mode during the school day. There are exceptions. For example, students on Individualized Education Plans or Individualized Health Plans could keep their devices on. Phone use would also be allowed for "instructional purposes" with a teacher's permission. Students could also turn on their phones in a "sudden emergency" like a lockdown or active shooter situation. High school principals would have leeway to permit students to use their phones during lunch, breaks, or classroom transitions. School administrators would also have the power to regulate if students can use their phones on buses.

For students who violate the policy, administrators would have the power to temporarily confiscate devices. The policy also lays out parameters for when school staff could search a student's phone.

The full board will vote on the policy at its April 22 meeting. Meanwhile, with similar exceptions to the Wake County policy. The Senate approved the bill earlier this month and it passed its first reading in the House this week.

Bradley George is ¼ª²ÊÍøÍøÕ¾'s AM reporter. A North Carolina native, his public radio career has taken him to Atlanta, Birmingham, Nashville and most recently WUSF in Tampa. While there, he reported on the COVID-19 pandemic and was part of the station's Murrow award winning coverage of the 2020 election. Along the way, he has reported for NPR, Marketplace, The Takeaway, and the BBC World Service. Bradley is a graduate of Guilford College, where he majored in Theatre and German.
More Stories