վ

Bringing The World Home To You

© 2025 վ North Carolina Public Radio
120 Friday Center Dr
Chapel Hill, NC 27517
919.445.9150 | 800.962.9862
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Mo Green warns sudden halt to pandemic funding will hit four counties hard

Three electric school buses will hit Mecklenburg’s streets next August, as the county builds out charging stations and other electric infrastructure.
Courtesy
/
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools
A school bus.

State Superintendent Mo Green is warning that a new decision from the U.S. Department of Education “threatens the financial integrity” of four North Carolina school districts.

A last week from U.S. Education Secretary Linda McMahon immediately revoked all deadline extensions for schools to use funds from the pandemic relief grants in the Education Stabilization Fund.

In a joint statement with the State Board of Education at this month's board meeting, Green said the decision would affect Robeson, Richmond, Lenoir and Halifax County schools.

“These districts will now face potential cancellation of projects or, worse, will not have the resources to pay the bills for work already done." Green said, reciting the statement. "This sudden reversal creates an administrative and financial crisis for districts that have legitimately relied on the U.S. DOE’s prior approval.”

McMahon says even schools that had prior approval will no longer be able to use their unused funds.

"You could not rely on the department adhering to its original decision," the letter reads. "That is especially true because the extension was a matter of administrative grace. You were entitled to the full award only if you liquidated all financial obligations within 120 days of the end of the period of performance. You failed to do so."

While schools can apply again for an extension on an “individual, project-specific basis,” Green said that creates unnecessary complications and uncertainty.

The Department of Education also sent to state education officials requiring them to certify compliance with nondiscrimination policies — and to eliminate what the department says are discriminatory diversity, equity and inclusion policies — or risk losing Title I federal funding for low-wealth students.

Sign up for our Education Newsletter

Select Your Email Format

James Farrell is WFAE's education reporter. Farrell has served as a reporter for several print publications in Buffalo, N.Y., and weekend anchor at WBFO Buffalo Toronto Public Media. Most recently he has served as a breaking news reporter for Forbes.
More Stories